Capers, create divine flavors in the kitchen
Tasty, salty and spicy, capers give a unique flavor to many Mediterranean cuisine dishes. Used in sauces or as a complement to salads, capers are healthy and nutritious. If you have not tried them, here you will discover all its benefits and uses to create divine flavors.
Origins and harvest
- Capers are small flower buds of a shrub known as Capparis spinosa, a plant native to Mediterranean countries, from Spain and Morocco to Israel. This plant accepts salt water well and can even survive in regions experiencing severe droughts.
- Picked by hand, capers have different sizes ranging between 7 and 14 millimeters in diameter. The flavor of the capers depends on its size, the smaller ones are the tastiest, since the flavor is more concentrated, and as the flower opens up, the flavor will be less.
- Capers are a very healthy food. It is estimated that each 100 grams of capers contain 5 grams of carbohydrates and 36 calories along with other nutrients such as fiber, proteins, vitamins C, A, K and E, as well as minerals such as iron, sodium and potassium.
Uses in the kitchen
- Capers enhance the flavor of other ingredients in the kitchen. They usually go very well with salty ingredients, such as anchovies or olives.
- Thus, we can use capers with red meats, vegetables such as cauliflower and pumpkin, or in salads. A basic complement to pizzas and pasta dishes, we can also use them to prepare white fish or grilled chicken.
- Another good advice is to fry them until they are slightly crispy and make a Caesar salad with a very special flavor; a special note on capers is that they also go well with smoked fish, ham, soft cheeses and freshly baked bread.
Capers are part of Goya Spain products catalogue. Goya Spain only packages the varieties that lend more quality: Capotes Capers (between 9 and 11 millimeters in diameter) and Nonpareilles Capers (up to 7 millimeters).
Reduced Sodium and Organics Capers are available too.
- We offer an alternative for customers who are worried about the amount of sodium in their foods, as well as those who are prone to hypertension and fluid retention. Reduced Sodium products complies with current regulations. Their sodium content is 25% lower than the original products.
- Organics capers come from organic farming, which follows a production system of maximum reliability subject to traceability from the field to the table. They have CAAE Certificación Agroalimentaria (Comité Andaluz de Agricultura Ecológica-Andalusian Committee for Organic Agriculture, an organic #certification entity).